Where to Start with your MFA. It is a two-part process.
Apply to Kutztown University + Apply to Communication Design =
The process for applying to the MFA in Communication Design requires both application to the University and successfully meeting the admissions requirements as outlined.
For more information regarding admissions, please visit Graduate Admissions. You are also welcome to contact the Graduate Admissions office by calling 610-683-4200 or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Specify that you are interested in the MFA in Communication Design.
The early deadline for all application materials to be submitted is March 1, 2017. The preferred final deadline is May 1st (especially for international applicants who have to navigate the visa process). However, on a space available basis, we will consider applications until the beginning of August.
Kutztown has several admission criteria shared by all graduate programs.
- Expected minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Official undergraduate transcripts documenting baccalaureate degree.
- Minimum TOEFL of 550 or 79 (online) for international students who did not complete an undergraduate degree at an English instruction institution.
In addition to the general entry requirements of Kutztown University, the MFA in Communication Design at Kutztown has specific entry requirements unique to the creative industry.
MFA program Requirements:
- Undergraduate Degree — BFA in a visual design-related field from a NASAD accredited institution preferred. Applicants with other types of undergraduate degrees (BA, BS or Fine Arts, Crafts, Studio Arts, …) will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and may be accepted conditionally. Upon proficiently meeting the proscribed condition of the acceptance (likely selected undergraduate coursework), students will matriculate into the MFA program.
- Professional Work Experience — The intention is that applicants to the MFA program are professional visual communicators in a design-related field who desire to improve their skill set. Submission of a resume documenting a minimum of three years professional experience in the field is recommended and preferred. Applicants with less experience may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Additionally, three current letters of reference are required. Please have references use the downloadable form from Admissions.
- Artist’s Statement — a written statement about one’s inspiration/artistic process and career goals relating to the pursuit of an MFA.
- Portfolio — Graduate applicants will submit a maximum of 20 digital slides/samples of their creative work. Some slides may be details or alternate views of a single work. The minimum number of unique works is 10.