Where to Start. It is a two-part process.
Apply to Kutztown University + Apply to Communication Design =
More seriously. Read through the content on this page and ask questions. If you need more information you can:
- Contact Admissions to apply to the University. Call the Admissions Office at (610) 683-4060 or toll-free 1-877-628-1915 between 8am and 4:30pm EST Monday–Friday or apply online. For more information regarding University admissions requirements click here.
- Contact the CD dept. Call the Dept. secretary at (610) 683-4530 8am and 4:30pm EST Monday–Friday or email her at email@example.com
First-year aka Freshmen Applicants
The process for applying to the Communication Design department requires both application to the University and successful completion of a Portfolio Review or Art Test.
Portfolios are accepted from first-year students only on designated open house dates in an interview setting with three CD faculty. Space is limited. Registration for portfolio reviews may be made online from the Admissions Events page.
On-campus review dates are:
Saturday, September 22, 2018 https://kutztown.hobsonsradius.com/ssc/eform/Gd7B25B0870kx6700tB8.ssc
Saturday, October 20, 2018 https://kutztown.hobsonsradius.com/ssc/eform/G0708IG0BS70x6700tB8.ssc
Sunday November 4, 2017 PHILLY PORTFOLIO REVIEW https://nationalportfolioday.org/ no sign up REQUIRED
Wednesday, November 7, 2018 KUVA OPEN HOUSE DAY https://kutztown.hobsonsradius.com/ssc/eform/N7S87mfB08720x6702fB8.ssc
Saturday, November 17, 2018 https://kutztown.hobsonsradius.com/ssc/eform/Gd7S8KB0870kx6700tB8.ssc
Friday, January 18, 2018
Wednesday, February 13, 2018 COMMUNITY COLLEGE DAY
Wednesday, February 20, 2018 KUVA OPEN HOUSE DAY
Friday, March 22, 2018
Friday, April 26, 2018
The work in your portfolio should reflect individual experiences, abilities, styles or techniques, as well as skill level.
Your portfolio should have 10-15 examples of your very best creative works. Work may be in any medium, including drawing, painting, watercolor, digital work, photography, printmaking and three-dimensional pieces.
Examples of what to include:
• Drawing/painting – Portraits, Still Life, Landscape, Figure Studies, be sure to include direct observation from real life.
• Two-Dimensional Design – Photography, Printmaking, Illustrations (traditional or digital), Graphic Design, works that show your understanding of line, color, value, shape, texture
• Three-Dimensional Design – Sculpture, Ceramics, Metals & Jewelry, Woodworking, Tools, Installation
• Digital & Time-Based Work – Animations, Video, Games, Websites
• Sketchbooks – Concepts, Character Designs, Journals, Sketches, Experimentation with Techniques, we love seeing development work
• Select – Include only your strongest, most recent work. Showcase problem-solving, decision making, originality of ideas.
• Organize – Develop an order to your presentation that makes sense and has a logical flow.
• Communicate – Be able to share your creative process with others.
In lieu of a portfolio review you may submit an art test. To proceed with an application using the Art Test, click here (https://kuva.slideroom.com/#/login/program/44561).
Deadline is May 1, 2019.
You will be notified by Admissions whether you’ve been accepted to the University and to the program only after the deadline date. Please do not call the Communication Design Department regarding acceptance. We are not permitted to release that information.
Good luck and best wishes!
External Transfer Applicants
Transfer students are required to submit a portfolio of work using Slideroom for entry into the CD program. Transfers are accepted for fall and spring admittance. Transfer students should first apply to KU online. Please contact Admissions with questions about the process.
If you’ve already applied to KU, please download the instructions for submitting an external transfer portfolio to learn more.
Internal Transfer Applicants
Students already enrolled at KU in a different major may apply for internal transfer (switching majors) if they:
- pass a portfolio review
- submit two letters of reference from KU professorss
- and the application itself.
Internal transfer deadlines are October 15th and March 15th for the following semester. Application forms are located outside SH310.