Where to Start. It is a two-part process.
Apply to Kutztown University + Apply to Communication Design =
More seriously. Read through the content on this page and ask questions. If you need more information you can:
- Contact Admissions to apply to the University. Call the Admissions Office at (610) 683-4060 or toll-free 1-877-628-1915 between 8am and 4:30pm EST Monday–Friday or apply online. For more information regarding University admissions requirements click here.
- Contact the CD dept. Call the Dept. secretary at (610) 683-4530 8am and 4:30pm EST Monday–Friday or email her at email@example.com
First-year aka Freshmen Applicants
The process for applying to the Communication Design department requires both application to the University and successful completion of a Portfolio Review or Art Test.
The Communication Design program at Kutztown University is where you start your career in graphic design, advertising design, interactive design or illustration. Graduating students receive a BFA in Communication Design, the preferred design degree recognized by our accrediting body, the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, as well as the American Institute of Graphic Arts.
When you graduate with a BFA in Communication Design you’ll have the practice and the portfolio essential to working in a variety of fields including branding, packaging, publishing, advertising, illustration and interactive design.
The process for applying to the Communication Design department requires both application to the University and successful completion of an in person Portfolio Review or complete the Art Test and submit online using SlideRoom.
Due to the high volume of applications, we cannot offer feedback on the Art Text submitted on SlideRoom. If you wish to receive feedback on your portfolio you must attend one of the Portfolio Review dates noted below.
IN PERSON PORTFOLIO REVIEW
Portfolios are accepted from first-year students only on designated Portfolio Review days in an interview setting with faculty. Space is limited and registration is required. Registration for Portfolio Reviews may be made online from the Admissions Events page.
Friday, January 18, 2019
Wednesday, February 13, 2019 CVPA Transfer Open House
Wednesday, February 20, 2019 CVPA Spring Open House
Friday, March 22, 2019
Friday, April 26, 2019
NUMBER OF PIECES: 10-15
SUGGESTIONS OF WHAT TO INCLUDE
• Two-Dimensional Design: Drawing, Painting, Photography, Printmaking, Mixed Media, Illustrations (traditional or digital), and Graphic Design. Works can range from observational to abstract and should demonstrate your understanding of composition, color, tonal value, shape, line, and texture, etc.
• Three-Dimensional Design – Sculpture, Ceramics, Metals, Jewelry, Woodworking, Mixed Media, Installation Pieces, Assemblage. For three-dimensional work provide at least 2 views per piece.
• Digital & Time-Based Work Animations, Motion Graphics, Creative Video, Video Games, Film, Websites, etc. Keep your submission to 10 minutes or less for all pieces combined; you may submit excerpts for longer pieces. You can upload items to Slideroom (500 mb limit per file) or supply links to public channels on YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
ACCEPTED BUT NOT REQUIRED
• Sketches/Sketchbooks – Concepts, Journals, Sketches, Experimentation with Techniques
• Observational Drawings
• Select: Include only your strongest, most recent work. Showcase problem solving, decision-making, and originality of ideas.
• Document: For large scale or three-dimensional work, make close-up, focused, high-resolution, well-lit submissions shots showing the entire piece. Crop the image to remove distracting backgrounds or frames and make sure the shot is straight.
For three–dimensional work, photograph with a neutral background (white, black, grey) and show at least two views of the work. You may combine two views of the work in a single slide.
The simplest way to get the best lighting is to use daylight. Do not use a flash. The best type is indirect daylight; avoid photographing in direct sunlight. Indirect light can be achieved by photographing in a room with large windows or outside in the shadow of a building. Avoid photographing late in the day when the sun is low.
• Organize: Develop an order to your presentation that makes sense and has a logical flow.
In lieu of a portfolio review you may submit an art test. To proceed with an application using the Art Test, click here (https://kuva.slideroom.com/#/login/program/44561).
Deadline is July 15th, 2019.
You will be notified by Admissions whether you’ve been accepted to the University and to the program only after the deadline date. Please do not call the Communication Design Department regarding acceptance. We are not permitted to release that information.
Good luck and best wishes!
External Transfer Applicants
Transfer students are required to submit a portfolio of work using Slideroom for entry into the CD program. Transfers are accepted for fall and spring admittance. Transfer students should first apply to KU online. Please contact Admissions with questions about the process.
If you’ve already applied to KU, please download the instructions for submitting an external transfer portfolio to learn more.
Internal Transfer Applicants
Students already enrolled at KU in a different major may apply for internal transfer (switching majors) if they:
- pass a portfolio review
- submit two letters of reference from KU professorss
- and the application itself.
Internal transfer deadlines are October 15th and March 15th for the following semester. Application forms are located outside SH310.